Scripture Case Pattern

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Scripture Case Picture Tutorial!


 Sheesh! It's about time I got this done! It's only been three years or so and over 8,000 downloads of my pattern.  You can download the pattern and written instructions by clicking on the button right under my blog header.  If I'm missing something in the directions or if something is a little unclear, please let me know.  Thanks!

Materials:
   1/2 yd outer fabric
   1/2 yd inner fabric
   3/4 yd fusible fleece
   3/4 yd heavy interfacing (something like fuse-a-shade)
   12 inches of 1" nylon webbing
   coordinating thread


Getting Started:

- cut 2 panels from each fabric, fusible fleece, and heavy interfacing
- cut 1 strip from each fabric (2 total) 1 3/4" x 12"
- cut fabric for pocket (optional).  Mine was 7 1/2" x 8 1/2"          


{pocket piece}

1. Iron fusible fleece to the back of the exterior fabric and the interfacing to the back of the interior fabric.



2. Iron in the edges of the two strips of fabric that will be used for the handle. You will want to iron them in towards the middle just enough so that the nylon webbing fits snuggly in it.




3.  Fit the nylon webbing into one of the strips of fabric you just ironed. Place the ironed strip on top and top stitch through both fabrics and nylon webbing down both sides, keeping the edges lined up.  You can pin in place, if you like.  I found it made things more difficult while sewing.  You can also achieve the same end results by first sewing the two pieces together, right sides together, into a tube, then turning right side out and then try pulling the webbing through.  Personally, it was a lot harder for me to do that.

I tried pinning at first, but ended up just taking out all the rest of the pins when I took out the first one. I found them annoying and useless.

I tucked my nylon webbing in the black fabric

end result with a topstitch sewn down both long sides of the strap

4. Quilt all four of your prepared panels as much or as little as you wish.  This is to ensure the backings stay in place in the long run and it also adds a nice decorative touch.  This scripture case is for a boy (hence the black and blue), so I kept the stitching very simple.

I marked my lines first, but you can free hand it, if you wish

all four panels stitched
5. Next is the pocket piece.  Fold the fabric in half right sides together so that it measures 7 1/2" x 4 1/4".  Sew along all three sides, leaving a small opening on one of the sides for turning.



6. Snip the corners, turn right side out and press.




7. Center pocket on one of the interior panels.



8. Stitch pocket in place along sides and bottom.  I then made two stitches placed one inch apart each down the pocket for pencils.



9.  Place the exterior panels right sides together.  Stitch down the sides and along the bottom.  Repeat with the interior fabrics, but leave a space along the bottom so that you can turn the bag right side out later on.

This is the interior piece.  Note the opening  I left along the bottom
hmmm... I don't know why this picture is upside down.  Sorry.  These are the exterior pieces sewn together.  The bottom is sewn across the entire length. 

9.  Now we're going to sew the corners of the bag (picture one) so that they're squared off.  Open the corners of the exterior panels up (picture 2) and line up the side seam with the bottom seam (picture 3), and sew together. Repeat on the other side and also on the interior panels. The end result should look like picture #4. You should now have two inside out bags.

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3 (check out my poor pinky. It popped up to say "hi")

Picture #4


10. Now we're going to put the bag together! Yay!  Keep your interior bag inside out.  Pin your handle to the bag like shown in the picture below.


11. Turn the exterior bag right side out. Place the exterior bag INSIDE the interior bag.  The handle is going to be in the way and will stop the exterior bag from fitting nicely in there.  That is OK.



12. Pin the two bags together all along the top.


13. Sew all around the edges, being sure to reinforce the straps by sewing back and forth across the straps



14. Turn the bag right side out through the opening you left in the bottom of the interior fabric.


It should look something like this

15.  Close the opening that you just pulled your bag through.  I usually hand stitch mine so it looks nice and clean. The kids I make the cases for like to turn their bags inside out sometimes. I like the nice, clean closer done with hand stitching, but because of my lame hand and laziness, I stitched it closed with a sewing machine...and did a sloppy job. Sorry.



16. Push the interior piece into the exterior piece so that you have a nice looking bag.  You're almost done.  Topstitch all around the top of the bag.  This keeps the two pieces in places better and gives is a nice, polished look.  You're done!



I didn't take a picture of the final bag.  I forgot.  Sorry!  But here are some previous bags I made:







3 comments:

Amanda said...

What are the dimensions of the panels?

Kade and Emily said...

Thank you so much for sharing! These are really cute!!

Lori said...

This is great! I just made my daughter one, now I'm going to make 2 more

Thanks for sharing!