Scripture Case Pattern

Friday, March 2, 2012

:( R.I.P.

I really didn't want to post anymore about the finger, but unfortunately, there's more to document for really no reason at all.  I know you are probably really sick of the finger posts.  I know I am, but bare with me. I need to document these lame things more for me than anything else.

I had another check-up on Tuesday. I honestly felt like everything was going great with my finger, but apparently not. The scabs should have fallen off by themselves two weeks ago. Because they hadn't come off on their own and they kept oozing, he feared that new tissue hadn't grown underneath them, so he started to remove them to see what was going on. The skin graft healed great, but nothing grew underneath the scabs.  The fatty tissue and nail bed that was there previously died off.  Since this was a crush amputation, there was a lot more damage done to the tissue underneath the wound site than could be seen.  The exposed tissue didn't have enough circulation to heal. :(

So... what next?  The doctor told me to come back in a week, and he'll see if new tissue has started to grow now that he's taken the scabs off, but it's highly unlikely.  I asked him to be honest with and tell me if he thinks things would change and he said no.  I asked him what the odds were and he said, "Oh, I don't know... maybe 10-15%."  I could tell he was just being nice and was trying to give me time to cope with the news.  If there's an absolute miracle and the finger starts growing skin out of the blue, then I get to keep it, but if not, then it needs to be cut down below the first knuckle.  I asked him what I should expect for recovery and when and where surgery would be after the appointment next Wednesday so that Tim and I could start making arrangements for the kids. As of right now, I'm tentatively scheduled for surgery on Monday, March 12.  Recovery should hopefully be only 3 weeks, and then another 9 weeks of physical therapy on top of the 5 weeks I've already done, and then it will be about 6 months to a year of some pretty intense nerve pain. Awesome.  So, there you have it.  I guess having a crazy allergic reaction to round 2 of antibiotics that put me out of commission for 4 days and then having round 3 of antibiotics wiping out all good bacteria in body, therefore making SEVERELY sick for the better part of  the week wasn't enough...now I need to get a little more of my finger amputated and start ALL OVER again with the pain, recovery, and healing. YAY!!!

Anyways... if you want to see some totally sick-nast pictures, you  may check them out HERE.

4 comments:

Erin and Paul Anderson said...

I'm sure "bummer" doesn't adequately describe this, but I'm having a difficult time finding a better word.
My dad had his finger caught in a snow blower last winter season and he was in a similar situation of being at risk of amputation (middle finger). Luckily they only had to snip the tip, so now his middle and pointer are the same height, but it really made me think about how much our limbs and body parts mean to us and we don't even realize it until we are up against something like that.
Good luck. I hope it goes better than expected and maybe there's a miracle. :)

Jenny said...

Sorry to hear about your finger. That is awful and it sounds like you have gone through a lot of physical and emotional pain. You are strong and whatever happens, I know you will you be okay. I didnt dare look at the pictures. Hoping for a miracle! Also congratulations on the MIST project, it sounds like it was a HUGE success and I think it is amazing you were able to be apart of it.

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

I'm so sorry :( This has not been a fun last few weeks for you! Wish there was something I could do to help, but I know you are strong and can deal with this...and thanks for posting pics, you know I like them (even though I'm sad that it's on you!)

Cait said...

I'm sorry about your pinky! =( Its kind of amazing how important such a little finger can be, but its kind of cool that you'll be unique if you do lose it and you'll always have a story to tell. I have a sick nasty scar on my left calf and its a great conversation piece... unless I'm wearing long pants. =)

I also wanted to tell you one of my DC friends googled a scripture bag tutorial and yours popped up and she used it. She saw my name on your friends list and thought it was funny that we knew each other. Small world!