Scripture Case Pattern

Monday, January 30, 2012

Accident

First off, Mist has been AMAZING!  It has been one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I know it will be worth it. The first week I worked 18 hour days and got a total of about 10 hours of sleep for the entire week.  Last Thursday Mist officially sold out!  People who came on one of the first days immediately bought tickets to come again the following week.  It's been so neat to see everything come together
   Now...on to my accident.  This happend last Monday, right after service as we were cleaning up.  As I was walking through a heavy metal door, 2 servers were walking by, so I was trying to move out of their way.  Somehow in the process of doing that, the door slammed on my pinky finger and took the top 1/2" right off.  The finger was not able to be reattached because the bone had been completely smashed.  I saw a plastic surgeon on Tuesday.  He gave me two options.  Option one, use the skin I have and with a few snips, reconstruct a new finger tip and reattach the nail that I was sent home with in a baggy.  The downsides: loss of feeling in the fingertip, a slightly shorter finger, at least 6 weeks of healing time, a misshaped nail, and a slightly misshaped finger. OR Option two, cut the finger down to right below the first joint.  Downsides: no fingernail, short finger/stump, BUT it only takes about 3 weeks to heal.  I chose option 1.  As the doc was working on it, he saw that the damage was a lot worse than he first thought. The bone was pulverized and the skin was completely mangled.  Tim said it looked like some had chewed off my finger.  Gross.
The doc then informed me that there is a good chance that my finger may not heal with this procedure because of the extent of the damage.  He said in 10 days we will know if the procedure is going to work or not.  If it doesn't work, then I'll have to go with option 2.  I go in this coming Wednesday (Feb. 1) to find out how it's healing. I am asking for any prayers or positive thoughts to be sent my way.  I don't want to lose more of my finger and have to go through all that pain again.  If you would like to see pictures from the emergency room and during the procedure (I was awake during it all), then click HERE.  WARNING, they are pretty gruesome, so proceed with caution.

3 comments:

Erin and Paul Anderson said...

Poor girl! I saw your post on FB and I thought you had sliced it with a knife. Ironic that it wasn't. I hope everything goes well and it heals okay.

Whitney said...

Holy crap! I wanted to talk to you yesterday at church, but had to get to our class. How are you and your family doing through all of this? Do you need me to bring your boys some pizza? :)
*Lots of positive thoughts your way*

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

Sad :( We'll be hoping/praying for your cute little finger! I do like that you have a pic of blood squirted all over your white jacket. And thanks for providing the gross pics, I like those :)