Scripture Case Pattern

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Secret #2

A few weeks ago I learned how to get a nice, crispy, golden brown crust on breads...you invest in a $40,000 oven that injects steam OR you throw a handful of ice cubes into the bottom of the oven right when you put the dough in.  Pretty cool. Oh, and that dark brown on breads isn't the product burning, it's call the Maillard reaction...it's the browning/"caramelizing" of proteins.  It only happens at very high temperatures (higher than what sugar caramelizes at - 330 degrees).  It adds extra flavor to the product, so it's a good thing!  Don't be scared of it!

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

That looks DELICIOUS! I saw something similar to that on the food network when they were making bagels. YUM.

Terri said...

I have SO got to the try the ice cube thing. Right now!

Jessica said...

We will be around for Thanksgiving, so you should definitely give us a call! We're celebrating Dylan's birthday on Saturday if you're still around... We'd love to see you!!

Charlotte said...

I tried that on my rolls tonight. I'm not sure I put in enough ice (or maybe the convection messed it up a bit) but I think the color was definitely more uniform. Thanks for the tip!

terry said...

Thanks for the ice cube tip -- I've been longing for the "real" bread in Germany and everyone always says that is the oven issue that makes bread there so much better. If I can make it at home ---amazing!!