Scripture Case Pattern

Friday, October 29, 2010

Oh geez, I'm having a hard time finding the time to do anything other than school, homework and being a mom. I'm lucky if I get to eat or sleep. This quarter is kicking my butt (but unfortunately my kinda large butt has not been getting smaller), BUT I love it (the school thing, not the inability to lose some of my excess junk in the trunk).  The IKEA thing was awesome. I'm glad I got to have an opportunity to spend time with those amazing chefs and bounce ideas off of them.  This past Tuesday, in between my 8am-11am class and my 6pm-11pm class, I got to go to Park City and help out the top Chefs in the state with a fine dining event held at the Waldorf-Astoria. It was amazing.  The food was incredible and by the end of the day I was unbelievably exhausted and woke up sick the next day. Fun.  

At the Waldorf event, I was preparing a dish with finger limes. These little, tiny limes (about 1 1/2" long and 1/2" wide) are from Australia.  Their citrus pocket thingys look like caviar and are used as garnish.  A little tiny container of them (the container is about the size of those plastic containers that blackberries and raspberries come in - the small square ones that are only an inch or so deep) costs $50!!! Crazy!  Their taste is a little bit milder than a regular lime and has a little bit of a salty taste to them.  Also, wine ice cream is all the rage right now and we were serving a bunch of that.  It's got a 5% alcohol content and can be quite easy to get a little drunk off of since it's in a dessert form.  I didn't try any of it, but everyone who did was in love with it.

So, my wonderful cousin, Stacy, has shared her Monte Cristo Souffle recipe with me/us. I haven't had the time to make it yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it within the next week and I'll take some pictures of it, but until then, I will share with you her recipe.

Monte Cristo Souffle


1 loaf white bread
butter
3 oz thinly sliced ham
6 oz thinly sliced Swiss cheese
3 oz turkey breast, thinly sliced
8 eggs
2 C half & half
1 C milk
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of cinnamon

Garnish:
Strawberry jam, powdered sugar

Grease a 9 x 13-inch glass pan. Remove crusts from bread and butter each slice. Place a layer of bread in pan, buttered side up, tucking and trimming to fill in gaps. Cover with all the ham and half the cheese. Repeat bread layer. Top with all the turkey and remaining cheese. End with final bread layer. In mixing bowl, combine eggs, half and half, milk and seasonings. Beat well and pour over layers in pan. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Bake at 325 for 1-1.5 hours until puffed and golden brown. Warm the jam and brush over baked soufflĂ© and dust with sugar.

I can't believe that in just a few weeks I'll have a one year old and a 4 year old.  What happened to my babies??  My boys are so awesome.  I can't believe how happy they make me.  It's indescribable.  I'm constantly overcome with love and happiness when I watch them and think about them.  I sure do love these little guys. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, they were taken on my phone.

 For some reason, Kade LOVES to fill his mouth full of food and then just chill like that. He'll crawl around and play with food hanging out of his mouth. He's weird.


I totally think Gavin looks like Kade in the picture with the funny glasses on.
Gavin's back pack was lame and boring, so I fixed it up for him.  I made sure to add his favorite things to it: dinosaurs, scary bones, cars, bugs (mostly centipedes), and the color green (his name is in green).

I will try and be better at updating and sharing some of the DELICIOUS food I've been making in school.

7 comments:

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ali said...

You have the cutest boys ever and they look so much alike!

Jenifer said...

The event in Park City sounds really cool. How great that you are getting to meet and work with people in your field.

The boys are so cute and Gavin's backpack looks much better after you got your hands on it. :)

Hang in there!

Terri said...

Will you please tuck me in your purse the next time you go on one of your cooking adventures? I have GOT, GOT, GOT to go to one of those things! I'll do anything...touch other people's dirty plates with my bare hands, let a chef scream at me and then thank him for the pleasure of having his spital hit my face, take out the garbage in thin plastic bags that tear open and spill everything everywhere. I'm groveling, alright?

Oh, and by the way, I have had those Monte Cristos and they are delish.

Charlotte said...

Never heard of those finger limes. They look like a lot of fun. Your boys are so ADORABLE!

Whitney said...

Thank you for sharing that recipe! One day I will make it... hopefully before I go back to work!

Terry said...

you are amazing, Tricia -- such adorable boys and school and all that being a wife and mom entails. How do you do it all? -- and have such great ideas! Thanks for sharing.