Scripture Case Pattern

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Odds and ends and a secret...

Yay! Keep the breakfast suggestions coming! I love it!  If you have more than one suggestion, give it to me!  I have to fill up an entire menu for my "future" restaurant.  I haven't figured out the type of restaurant I want to do yet, but hopefully by the time I have to do the lunch menu I've got it figured out.  One of the objectives of my school is to have us prepared to open our own restaurant upon graduation, so many of our classes are about how to design and set-up our own restaurant, and then for the capstone we make a portfolio of all of our restaurant plans.  We have to do everything from designing the layout and figuring out the color palette we want, right down to the menu and pricing and our mission statement...kinda exciting.

So, I learned a little secret to making perfect cookies from one of my teachers, Master Pastry Chef Sam Major.  If you add about 1 T. of corn syrup to your cookie dough recipe, it gives the cookies a soft interior and a slightly crunchy exterior...mmmmmmm.

Want to know one of the best feelings? Making something the chef can't stop complimenting or eating. Yeah, it definitely feels good.

I'm getting into more exciting cooking classes, so hopefully I'll have lots of yummy recipes to share with you.  I'm taking an intro to baking and pastry class and an American Regional Cuisine coarse.  I have these classes from 6-11pm Mon-Wed.  It kinda makes my stomach hurt from eating so late, but it's still lots of fun.  Right now we're focusing on New England cuisine so tonight we're making clam chowder and peach and blueberry cobbler.  I've never liked clam chowder, but maybe this time I will (I doubt it, but I'll still give it a small try)?  Anyways, sorry I've only been talking about food.  Maybe something different in my life will pop up and I can chat about that, or maybe not...

**Stacy, could, do you mind sharing that Monte Cristo recipe? If you're ok with sharing it, you email it to me?**

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I'll be trying the corn syrup in cookies soon. Maybe this weekend. I've got a REALLY bad sweet tooth with this pregnancy and can't stop eating sweet things. YUM!

The Fuquas said...

Absolutely! I'll get right on it...