Scripture Case Pattern

Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Family That Eats Together, Stays Together

I am passionate about food, family and psychology...like borderline-freaky-obsessed-passionate with all three.  I'm so excited to continue my education so that I can put my plans into action.  Some of you know what I want to do after I graduate, but most of you don't.  I'm kind of hesitant to put this out there so that anyone can come across it and take my idea, but I'm hoping that by putting this out there, I might be able to network and find others that are passionate about it too and want to help me make this possible.  Here are my thoughts, plans, and ideas...

Families are falling apart, the divorce rate is outrageous, and the delinquency rate of children is growing higher and higher.  I feel it is our duty to our community, our families and to the world to try our hardest to change these things.  I want to start this change by teaching families (and even just couples) how to eat together.  There are numerous studies that have been done that show a high correlation between family dinner and childhood delinquency and divorce rates.  Parents that have family dinner (or maybe even a family breakfast if dinner isn't really plausible) tend to have children with a lower delinquency rate.  Couples that don't have children but still make it a priority to eat together at least once a day tend to have an easier time staying together.  Having a meal together provides an intimate but yet non-intimidating opportunity to talk and find out what's going on in each other's lives. Children are more likely to open up when they don't feel threatened.  It's a good bonding time for not only parent's and their children but for couples.  Food has a way of bring people together and I want to help families discover that.  Since I only have a bachelors in psychology, I am going to have to team up with a licensed therapist to make this work. I want to do family/couples therapy in the kitchen.  I want to teach families and couples how to eat together, and not just eat together but to create the meal together.  I feel it is important to get your children involved in the cooking and cleaning process too.  It not only teaches them important skills, it allows you, as a parent, more one-on-one time with your child.  My plans are to have lesson/treatment plans set up so that I can have my family in the kitchen setting with me to help other families see the different tasks that different aged children can do.  I want my family involved in this too.  I'm hoping to be able to offer classes to the community through schools and other programs.  I also want to work with At-Risk youth in a kitchen setting.  I want to teach them social skills, cooperation, communication, following directions and all those other necessary social skills through cooking.  

Those are my plans...any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?  Anything?? Talk to me!  If you know of anyone that could help me further this idea, please let me know.

The End.

8 comments:

Ali said...

What a great idea! I think we all hear that over and over and it's always been a simple thing for my family to do.
Although this year my kids are crazy around dinner time with activities. I've said to myself if we can't eat dinner together they will just have to quit. Thanks for giving me more reasons to stick to my goal. I could probably use some of your courses in trying to find meals that are prepared ahead of time so we can eat as soon as we get home with no prep. I've even considered hauling the family over to one daughter's activity on our busiest night with a picnic dinner so we all eat together during her break. Good luck to you on this as well as to all those other families who find themselves in similar situations as me, trying my hardest to make it work!

My brother-in-law, Jeff Brown, teaches some life skills courses at his high school in Colorado. He does some cooking and stresses the importance of the things you've talked about. Can you possibly teach it to the kids in the schools in your area?

Phil and Ashlee said...

love it and totally agree.. If you need help from another gal with her bachelors in Psychology I am totally the one for you :) too bad I didn't continue my schooling after that haha

Sarah Robbins said...

Very creative idea. I like it! I will be interested to see what it actually looks like when put into action.
One thing you may want to more research on is the development of eating disorders. There are probably some kids who are at risk for them already who this could completely backfire unless it were handled exactly right. But honestly I don't know much about it since my elementary kids -usually- aren't there yet. But the whole working together, etc idea I think is great!

mizkylie said...

Wonderful Idea!!

Cait said...

I totally agree with this! ALSO if you haven't watched Jamie Oliver's food revolution, you should! Its more about eating healthy things than families, but he still wants to teach people to make food instead of go buy fast food crap.

You should go for it!

Lindsay said...

That's awesome! What an amazing goal...I hope it all works out for you, I'm anxious to hear how it all goes!

Jenny said...

I love it! I think you are completely right, I hope you are able to make this dream a reality I really think it would help a lot of people. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to support you in this!

REYNOLDS FAMILY said...

Tricia I LOVE this idea!! It actually gave me chills reading it because I 100% believe family time, especially family DINNER time. It's amazing how food can bring people from all different backgrounds and lifestyles together. I think you should DEF look into troubled teens and maybe even foster programs?? I can't wait to see what you do!!! Good Luck!:)