Scripture Case Pattern

Monday, March 23, 2009

Soup

***Picture was removed due to my morning sickness***I'm not a big soup lover at all, but this soup is to DIE FOR! My Aunt made it at a family get together a while back and I've loved it ever since. The recipe makes a HUGE amount, so if you're going to make it, either half it or make it all and freeze the rest to have for a later meal (that's what I'm doing). Here's the recipe:







JoAnn Pulsipher’s Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Recipe from Anne Tucker

1 pkg mild or spicy sweet Italian sausages (there are about 5 or 6 sausages in a pkg) (in the specialty deli section)
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
5 cans beef or chicken broth
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp. dried basil
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
3 C carrots, shredded
1 or 2 zucchini, sliced
1-2 yellow summer squash, sliced
3 cups fresh spinach, torn
1 pkg cheese tortellini (I like to use the bigger tortellini that you can get at Costco)
Parmesan Cheese, for garnish

Remove casings on sausage, crumble in a heavy pan and brown.
Add oil, onion, celery & sauté until tender
Brown the meat, add the other above items and sauté until tender.
Add broth, thyme, basil, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, squash and spinach. Bring to a boil , reduce heat and simmer for about 5-7 minutes
Add tortellini and cover and cook for 5 minutes or until tortellini is tender and heated through.

mmmmmmm......
Gavin insisted I take a "smile" picture of him for you guys.

4 comments:

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

That kid better watch out or his eyes are going to get stuck like that...I haven't seen a picture of him looking at the camera in forever! At least he's cute like that :) Thanks for the recipe, looks amazing, I'll have to try it out.

Lindsay said...

Yum - that looks good. I better try it!

DMC Studios said...

Mmmm sounds good. I'll have to try it.

Phil and Ashlee said...

yum, I'm going to try and make this tomorrow. I am really excited about a new soup recipe!

Gavin- you are silly and I love it!