Scripture Case Pattern

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Brooklyn's Birthday Cake

My friend, Julie's little girl turned 1 yesterday and they're having a family party tomorrow. She asked me to help her with a birthday cake, so I decided to surprise her with one this morning. This was my first cake ever. It was a lot of fun making it...a HUGE learning experience. It's a chocolate fudge cake with raspberry filling and chocolate frosting. I made marshmallow fondant and it's DELICIOUS and really easy to work with. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Brooklyn!

I really don't like the Wilton recipe for buttercream frosting because of all the crisco (it's great for decorating, but I don't like it being the main frosting on the cake), so I used a buttercream recipe out of the BetterHomes cookbook. It tastes delicious, but there isn't enough fat in it to be able to make it smooth. It's really sticky and it was really hard to smooth out on the cake hence the lumpiness of the cake once the fondant was on. Oh well!! I told you it was a learning experience! Also, the fondant was having a really hard time sticking to the frosting, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Next time I'll try adding a little more butter to see if it makes the frosting creamier enough to smooth out on the cake.

7 comments:

Love, The Arthurs said...

That is so stinkin cute! I love it! I so wanna learn how you did that!

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

Good work! It's fun, huh...can be a bit time consuming and stressful at time but worth it in the end. Fun stuff!

Stringfellow Family said...

Tricia you did AWESOME!!! That looks great and it's your 1st??? WOW! K you are going to be big one day you pro cake decorater!!!

Anita said...

WOW, TRICIA. You did a FANTASTIC job. I know you are going to be a big hit with cakes. Ill have to have you help me out with my kiddos.
We need to get together soon :)

Phil and Ashlee said...

Tricia you are the coolest person I know.. these are awesome

The Everett's said...

Wow! That is impressive! Nice job. Can I have one?

Jenifer said...

Good job! Cute cake! You realize you just volunteered to make cakes for our pizza partys now, right? :)